Joyful Noise: A Music and Prairie Family Camp is a collaboration between Symphony in the Flint Hills, Inc. and Camp Wood YMCA. Participants of all ages receive instruction by world-class music educators, learn about the prairie landscape and attend a twilight concert. Since it began in 2011, Joyful Noise has advanced the mission to “Heighten appreciation and knowledge of the Flint Hills of Kansas by inviting families to celebrate by playing music and experiencing the natural world of the Tallgrass Prairie.” The generous support of sponsors and donors provides for scholarships and helps keep registration fees affordable. In 2013, Kansas! Magazine named Joyful Noise one of its “20 Reasons We Love Kansas.”
Some highlights from the Third Annual Joyful Noise Camp:
- Participants from as far as Denmark enjoyed exquisite prairie views.
- At breakfast, the dining hall hummed with the sound of hundreds of kazoos, provided by our music sponsor Manning Music.
- The skies cleared just in time for 300 participants of all ages to enjoy a day of outdoor activities including prairie walks, yoga, art classes, horseback riding and music classes.
- Toddlers from the Kindermusik class entertained lunchtime diners with a butterfly dance.
- Families shared blankets for a heart-warming twilight concert featuring Grammy Award-winning cellist Eugene Friesen with guests Darol Anger, Emy Phelps and Kenny White.